Onions are easy to grow, which makes it one of the best plants for a beginning gardener. They need less attention during the growth when compared to other plants.
Onions will be having flavonoids, which have both an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect. By eating them regularly in sufficient quantities, these components will help people to protect themselves from chronic conditions such as cancer and diabetes.
Also Onions will be having soluble fibre, which ensures a healthy gut, which is crucial for weight loss and belly fat loss.
- You can start seeds in almost any type of container as long as it's 4-6 inches deep, and has some drainage holes in the bottom.
- Choose potting soil, which is made for growing seeds or 50% garden soil, 20% coco peat and 30% vermicompost.
- Before planting the seeds, moisten the soil mix well.
- Sprinkle the seeds evenly over the soil surface.
- Lightly cover the seeds with soil and gently press the soil down to ensure it comes into contact with the seeds.
- Make sure to keep the soil mix evenly moist for the first 12-15 days.
- Keep the pot in full Sun, 6-7 hours of sunlight is ideal for the early germination.
- Growing Onions from the seed is fairly quick, it takes about 6-10 days for the seedlings to pop out of the soil.
- Provide consistent soil moisture with regular watering especially during the initial growth stages.
- Don’t use any fertilizer during the initial growth phase.
- Wait until seedlings are at least 5 to 6 inches tall, this will tell us how strong they grow further.
- Transplant seedlings when they are 5 to 6 inches tall in height.
- Always take the big containers to plant your broccoli plants, like 22 inch diameter and 14 to 15 inch depth containers.
- Choose soil, which is made for growing seeds or 50% garden soil, 20% river sand and 30% compost.
- Dig holes about 4-6 inch depth and plant them deeper. Planting the broccoli plant deep into the soil helps them grow better, because broccoli form roots all along the portion of the soil.
- At least keep the distance of 6 to 8 inches from each other plant so that they grow healthy.
- After transplanting, add water to the soil thoroughly.
- Onions require more exposure of sunlight. The more energy they get from sunlight, the more the size of the onion.
- Onions are heavy feeders, Fertilize your plant for every 18 to 20 days. Mix thoroughly and water to the soil thoroughly after adding the fertilizer.
- When onions start to mature, then gently bend the tops down to speed up the growth.
- When onion bulbs are formed, it starts pushing the soil. At this time stop fertilizing and stop adding any soil.
- Onions tops will get dry and here is the time the growth has been stopped and it's time for harvesting.
- Onions are ready to harvest around 120 days to 150 days from the time of planting seeds.
- You can pull out the bulbs from the soil, when the top is dried.
Here’s the findings of how to grow the Onions at your home and this will be helpful for people who wish to grow their food for their family and for people who have time for growing at home. Also a good hobby. If you have a hobby of growing such vegetables at home, do continue by reading related articles in Peoples BLOG. Thanks for reading this article, hope you get something interesting today.