Droupadi Murmu was nominated to President elections and on 21st of July 2022 elections counting was finished and Droupadi Murmu won the elections and will be the New President of India, Murmu is likely to take oath on July 25 as President of India.
A few highlights of 15th President of India
- Droupadi Murmu will be the first person belonging to a Scheduled Tribe (ST) community to be elected as the President of India.
- Murmu will be the first person from Odisha, to become the President of India.
- Droupadi Murmu will be the second woman after Pratibha Patil to become President of India.
- Droupadi Murmu will be the Youngest person to become President of India.
- Murmu will be the very first individual to have been born after India's independence in 1947, who is going to be President of India.
Who is Droupadi Murmu?
- On 20th June 1958, Droupadi Murmu was born in a Santali family in the Baidaposi area of Rairangpur which is in Mayurbhanj district of Odisha.
- Her father and grandfather were Sarpanchs.
- She did her Graduation in Arts from Rama Devi Women's College.
- She got married to Shyam Charan Murmu, who was a Banker.
- The couple had 3 children, 2 boys and a girl.
- Unfortunately she lost her husband and 2 boys (which happened in a span of 7 years)
- By Profession Murmu was a Teacher.
- She worked as an Assistant Professor at the Shri Aurobindo Integral Education and Research Institute till 1997.
- She also worked as a Junior Assistant in the State Irrigation and Power Department from 1979 to 1983.
Political career of Droupadi Murmu
- In 1997, Droupadi Murmu joined the BJP (Droupadi Murmu is a Tribal leader from Rairangpur in the Mayurbhanj district in Odisha). She was elected as the councilor of the Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat.
- In 2000, Murmu became the Chairperson of Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat.
- Murmu also served as National Vice-President of BJP ST Morcha.
- In Odisha, Murmu was the Minister of State with Independent Charge for Commerce and Transportation from 6th March 2000 to 6th August 2002. And also the Minister of State of Fisheries and Animal Resources Development from 6th August 2002 to 16th May 2004.
Droupadi Murmu as Governor of State
- On 18th May 2015, Murmu took oath as the Governor of Jharkhand and Served till 12th July 2021 as Governor of Jharkhand (also the first woman Governor of Jharkhand).
- Murmu stood with the Tribal peoples during the Pathalgardi movement. On 24th May 2017, She relented and refused to give assent to the bills and returned the bill to the state government along with the memorandums she had received. The bill was later withdrawn in August 2017.
In June 2022, the BJP nominated Murmu as the NDA's candidate for President of India for the 2022 election, and won the elections.
To conclude, I hope people got a brief picture of the new President of India. Thanks for reading the article, read out articles for more such articles.