Here's a simple recipe for Carrot Fried Rice in Andhra style:
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice (preferably leftover and cooled)
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal (black gram split)
- 1/2 teaspoon chana dal (split chickpeas)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Cook the basmati rice and let it cool. It's preferable to use leftover rice as it's less sticky.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, and chana dal. Let them splutter.
- Add finely chopped onions, green chilies, and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add finely chopped carrots and green peas. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are slightly tender but still have a crunch.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well to coat the vegetables with the spices.
- Add the cooked and cooled basmati rice to the pan. Gently mix to combine the rice with the vegetable mixture. Ensure that the rice grains don't break.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Carrot Fried Rice is ready to be served. You can serve it hot with raita or any side dish of your choice.
Enjoy your Andhra-style Carrot Fried Rice. Adjust the spice levels according to your preference.